Saturday, August 22

They must be joking

The Skinny Bitches are staring at me. So smug and confident. "Don't eat that you fat pig." "That is a chemical shit storm." "Toughen up." "Sober up." "Drama queen." Boy, are they mean.

There' s a lot of turmoil going on here. I want to eat right. I want to reset my fullness meter. I want to make healthy choices. But then a whole 'nother contingent is yelling at me about the earth and the environment and chemicals and organic. Caving in, I went to the local organic store The Raisin Rack to stock up and just about choked.

They must be kidding. "Think about all the money you spent on junk food, cigarettes and alcohol" they whine. For the record, I do not smoke so at least I'm not in that category of reckless. But they seriously think I can spent $6. 89 on a 6 oz package of quinoa? Or $3. 59 on Earth Balance buttery spread. Agave nectar to replace sugar? $7.99. Cereal, $4.49 - $7.50. Nut butter, $5.69. This is not sustainable for me in the long run, people.

Why is eating "right" so expensive? Add the word organic and you can add $$. There are some great products in this store. But I can't justify spending $3.59 for a 1 1/2 candy bar just because it's organic or free trade. I'm sorry, I just don't have the cash for that. There are kids that need new school clothes. And a driveway that needs repaved before winter. And a car that needs brakes and a new A/C. Hell, I should just get a new car for how much we'll pay for repairs on that thing.

But seriously, how can I be healthy and earth conscious without going bankrupt? What good is that to my family. "Well, we were eating really healthy organic stuff, but then they took the house away." I'm stumped.

My plan to drink only water and eat nothing really didn't last past this morning. I was hungry. I had to eat something. And it wasn't organic or free range or nitrate free. But it was protein and it kept me from snacking until lunch and I'd say that was an accomplishment. Down another pound. Let's keep this party going...

No comments:

Post a Comment