Monday, August 17

Acai Berry Trap

I'm just trolling websites, checking out recipes for sangria, when I see an ad for a Mom with her gut hanging out saying she lost 30 pounds in some insanely short amount of time. So, of course, I click it.

I know whatever they are selling will not actually do what they say it will. But the company has actual videos from Rachel Ray's TV show, Fox News (like I'd take them seriously) and some health expert I've never heard of. And they throw around Ophrah's good name. I have to check it out.

The miracle berry, Acai - pronounced ahSahee - from the Amazon rainforest is the "cure." High in antioxidents, vitamins and helps you with just about any ailment you might have except for whining children. For that you need an entirely different drug. This woman, Judy, has a "blog" and is offering a free sample of Acai Berry pills and Colon Cleanse because, apparently, you have to use the two together to get the full effect.

I'm skeptical. So I click out of it. But the website won't let me. There's a pop up window. "Skeptical? I was at first, but if you just give it a try...blah, blah." I'm sucked in. I read a bit more, watch some videos, think "hmm, this might work. Why not give it a try?"

I actually fill out the form on the website, and click Rush me my FREE offer. That's when I'm directed to another site. Looks all official, has the Security lock symbols and hacker free symbols. Then I notice the company name, Preciousmind, and address, Cyprus. Ah, no. You'll get all my information, my address, my phone number, my credit card number for a 99 cent shipping fee and then what? Will I find charges on my credit card for plane tickets? Extravagant furs, luxury suites, electronics? I don't think so.

This time, I click out, all the way out, past all the pleading pop ups and back to my sangria recipe.

It's just not that easy. There is no miracle cure. There is no pill, procedure, program that can keep me from stuffing my face. It has to come from inside. Maybe if I keep saying it, it will sink in.

I'm off now. Have some Stacy's Pita chips and pine nut pesto hummus to attend to. That's healthyish, right?

1 comment:

  1. As an update, I did get a call from the company about an hour later trying to sell me some stuff. Automated message. Very strange. I hung up.

    ReplyDelete