Sunday, August 30

Something New


Driving back from the grocery store today, I could smell the chocolate donut my daughter had selected for her "treat" and the cinnamon roll my son chose. The smell permeated the car, even with the windows open. I could smell the rich chocolate icing, the chocolate crumb cake of the donut. It was pure evil. But I loved it. Better still, I didn't eat it. Just sniffed. I'm pretty sure there aren't any calories in sniffing, but I could be wrong. Boy, would I be in trouble then.

I managed to get home without eating anything "bad." It really wasn't even that hard, frankly. Which is surprising. It's been almost two weeks now. Shocking. Two weeks with my new style of eating. Can't say I've lost any weight for the last two days. And not like I've been eating badly, with the exception of the latte on Saturday, but I don't think there are a whole bunch of calories in that, right? I even rode my bike downtown yesterday. We are planning a hike today, but my husband is finally working on my daughter's room again, and I don't want to interrupt that. We'll see.

Trying something new tonight for dinner. Fish. I'm not a big fish fan. I eat tuna and sometimes salmon and shrimp, but I'm not adventerous when it comes to seafood. I just don't enjoy it. And honestly, sometimes it makes me gag. When I was little, I had some shrimp and then got violently ill. I don't know if I was coming down with something anyway or if it was the shrimp, but that pretty much set the stage for seafood and me. Wouldn't want to meet seafood in a dark alley. Not going steady with seafood. Acquaintances, really. Never friends. I'm a little wary.

So we're trying tilapia. It's pretty mild. The kids aren't thrilled about it. That's my fault. I just don't cook it. And we rarely eat it when we go out. It's strange and different. I'm making Broiled Tilapia with Thai coconut-curry sauce. I'm hoping the familiar sauce will make it easier to try. I'm also making a jicama and carrot peanut lime salad to go with it. Just getting all international today. Doin the Thai thing.

I'm just waiting to see how long it is after dinner that someone asks for a snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment