Thursday, August 20

Day three - supplies are running low

It's day three on the desert island I call Skinny Eating. Supplies are running low. Fattening, scary foods abound. Trying to stick with the high protein, heavy weight, low glycemic foods. May have to start eating the natives...

I'm kidding. It is day three. I've lost four pounds. I'm guessing it's mostly water weight. Yesterday I couldn't get my head off the couch. Summer cold and a migraine. Not sure if they are related or I was coming down from my three year long sugar high. Could be a mixture. I have to say I'm surprisingly not hungry. Thinking I should get a snack, but I'm not hungry yet, so I'll wait.

Went out with the kids to do school shoe shopping. We ate out at McDonald's. I had a grilled chicken Caesar salad with half the packet of dressing, no croutons. Broke down and ordered the diet soda (sorry, T) and it tasted awful. Not sure if that was the soda - didn't seem very fizzy so I'm guessing their CO canister was low - or me. Then, we went to Meijer and bought some more lettuce and a huge packet of eggs and some protein powder for morning shakes. We'll see how that tastes.

Somehow, I managed to gag down four egg whites and one yolk for breakfast this morning. Damn, that's a lot of eggs. It held me over, though, until lunch. And I actually felt hungry then. I didn't just eat because it was lunch time. I was ready to eat.

But, this Skinny book is depressing. It says the same damn stuff that all the other books say. Eat a lot of veggies. Well, I get bored easily because I don't like a whole bunch of veggies. I grew up with green beans, peas and wax beans as my vegetables. Sometimes we had salad. I have branched out to carrots, broccoli, zucchini, squash, tomatoes, celery, peppers and some others I can't remember now. I still am not fond of eggplant or okra or artichokes. Or mushrooms. My friend T tells me I should try portobella mushrooms, grilled. I'm going to have to drink a lot before I try that. Can't get my mind around the fact that they are fungus. I'll try, though. I'm going to have to branch out or I will fail. Again.

So, here's what I'm eating now: breakfast, protein - egg whites or turkey sausage or turkey bacon or protein shake. Lunch - appetizer (salad or veggie soup), veggie side dish, protein. And dinner - appetizer again, veggie side dish, protein and whole grain starch. So far I have "cheated" a bit. Can't go completely cold turkey at first. Breakfast I can commit to. Lunch is a little more fluid. And dinner gets complicated, because I am cooking for the whole family. They certainly don't need to be on a "lifestyle change" like I do. I spend a lot of time trying to think how to incorporate my needs with their needs. It's exhausting.

Off to make some veggie soup and find a healthy, low glycemic snack. If I can reset my fullness guage, this may just work. Talk to me next week. Tomorrow, Clean Eating and other complications.

No comments:

Post a Comment