Sunday, September 13

Oooey, Gooey, Sticky Mess


I am the creator of my own messes. I am a mastermind of self-destruction. I am...a baker.

My son was crazy yesterday, wanting to do something. But everything he wanted to do involved something we didn't have or something we didn't have time for. So, I resorted to baking. He wanted to bake cupcakes with frosting. I talked him into Texas Sheet cake.

Why would I think that was a better choice than cupcakes, I'm not sure. It was a Cooking Light recipe. A bit better than the original, but still a stick and a half of butter in the 10 X 15 pan. I used some organic whole wheat pastry flour and natural cane sugar in place of the white sugar. But, still, it's sugar.

It's chocolate, which is my Kryptonite, my downfall. I just can't stop. I should be able to take one little slice, enjoy it and be done. But I can't. I had my piece. And another small one. And another. And some frosting from the side of the pan. And this morning, I had some more. Already. It's not even noon yet. Even with waking up with a sugar headache this morning, you'd think I could control myself, but no. It's chocolate. I get weak, my head gets fuzzy and suddenly I'm struggling to regain consciousness.

Maybe it's better if I don't bake. It's too easy to make ooey, gooey, sticky cakes, cookies, bars, brownies. There are so many yummy options out there. I think it was the curry. We had chicken curry for dinner. So sweet, almost like candy with a kick. Am I doomed to just never taste sugar again, ever? Cold turkey. It seems like the only way. What a mess.

On the positive side, I'm now down 11 1/2 pounds. Not too shabby. Now if I can just keep away from the sheet cake...

4 comments:

  1. i'm sure jack liked spending the time with you making a delicious sheet cake. i believe every lifestyle (notice I did not say diet) should have a little room for chocolate. if you know you're free to eat it once in a while, maybe it won't seem so tempting? changing eating habits is hard but you are doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Put the cake down! You're doing so well!!! And if you can't have just one piece then don't have any. Yep, Cold turkey it might be. My demons come in the form of potato chips these days. Darn things are everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies. I'm trying. I did finally put down the cake. And I ate well the rest of the day, and went on a 1 1/2 hike with the kids this afternoon. Hoping that balances things out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job!! All things in moderation. You only live once, so if you have the chocolate once in a while, don't waste your time & energy making yourself feel guilty. Chalk it up to experience, go on a hike (yay you!), and reset your intentions. Keep going, honey, your journey is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete