Wednesday, September 16

No fun

Can't a girl have some fun? Really, just a little? A dinner out? Some hummus and whole grain pita chips? And, o.k., some really good chocolate cake with gooey, pecan encrusted frosting. But, that was an afterthought. A big afterthought. Twice.

Fine, I cheated. I splurged. I went a little crazy last night. It started with a trip to Applebee's. The hubby is gone for a conference (coming back tonight) and I took the kids out to eat. Thought it might be something fun to do, plus then I wouldn't have to do dishes. And I had been cleaning all day, so that's fair, right?

I was trying to figure out what to order. They have some Weight Watchers items on their menu, but one time I got a salad that was pretty tasteless. I went my Chicken Fajita wrap route. Chicken, lettuce, cheese, tomatoes. Not too bad, but not the best choice. I only ate half.

Yeah, yeah, wait for the applause...it came with fries. I thought, I'll only eat a few. Have you eaten Applebee's fries lately? Oh, my. Very good. Delicious with ketchup. I got a little carried away. Probably ate more than half, more than I should have. Fine. I paid for it, with a very full stomach. And it most likely didn't help that I also drank two huge glasses of diet coke with that. Free refills. Who can argue? I should have.

Should have. That seems to be my mantra. Shoulda, coulda, woulda. But I didn't. I think it was a set-up. All that diet soda was just BEGGING for company. After we got home, I remembered the Texas sheet cake from this weekend. I froze large sections of it so I wouldn't have it sitting on the counter mocking me. Good thing was it was gone from my sight. Bad thing...it was frozen, so it wasn't getting moldy so I'd have to throw it out.

Did you know that you can eat frozen cake out of the freezer? Seriously, no wait. It tastes wonderful. I know...bad.

I put the kids to bed and started reading. That's a good distraction. Then the hummus started calling me. I know it's hard to imagine. It's all the way in the fridge, there are a few steps from the couch to the fridge, there was the book, the TV, really I shouldn't have been able to hear it at all. But I did. Calling me, teasing me, telling me bad things that made me want it.

Fine. I ate the hummus. Grabbed the Stacy's MultiGrain pita chips (again, not feeling righteous, but they were whole grain...but still fried...right?) and went to town. Pretty sure I ate more than two tablespoons worth. And that stuff if fattening. I know they're just garbanzo beans, but it's mostly fat.

Once I polished those off (I did leave a few chips in the bag), my distended stomach was begging for more. Stupid stomach. Doesn't know to leave a good thing alone. I had more cake. Another sliver. O.K., big sliver. Do you see the madness? The decent into pure food madness? It was a feeding frenzy. I couldn't stop myself.

Well, I could have. I'm just weak. And now it shows on the scale. I gained three pounds overnight. Is that even possible?

It's going to be a long, painful day. I just finished my trough of egg whites, so I should be on the right track to get back to healthy eating. Thing is, I thought I was eating healthy, up until last night. I guess it doesn't balance out when you go whole hog on a dish of hummus.

Here's to better eating.

1 comment:

  1. Don't beat yourself up over one night. It's going to happen - just don't let it happen every night because I can only do so many crunches and wall squats before I start fainting!!!!

    ReplyDelete