Tuesday, February 17


Just when I get motivated. Just when I get a positive attitude, it all comes to a screeching halt. Why is that? At least it's not my fault. I still want to be good, eat right, exercise. It's the sickness that has invaded my home.

The plague. First my husband. Now my son. Who is next? You would think that after two weeks of being breathed on by sickos, it would be my turn. We'll see. Maybe it will be a most convenient illness and I won't get it. Or it will strike when I least want it, during my son's birthday party. Or when there is no one to take care of me. Because, really, that's the whole issue.

I spend all day fetching drinks, washing out barf buckets (yes, gross), fixing blankets, checking temps, picking up, cooking, putting in videos, reading Garfield comic books for the umpteenth time (so help me GOD if I find another one of those in my house, someone will die) and when it is my turn to lie like a feverish slug on the couch...who will care for me?

There is nothing like a mom to care for you when you are sick. Even when your mom isn't the most affectionate of moms. There is something about illness to bring out their softness, their mom essence. "What do you need, dear?" "Are you comfy?" "Can I change the channel for you?" (before there were remotes. And yes, there was a time before remotes) "Need some applesauce?" The mom is caring, listening, worrying about you.

Dads are kind of gruff. "How's it going sicky?" "Taking over the couch, are we?" Not that my dad isn't caring. In fact, if I was looknig for sympathy, I would pick my dad over my mom. But forget being sick in front of him. Very uncomfortable. Dad gets home and then everyone disappears into the kitchen for dinner prep and talking. Hey, what about me? I'm dying of thirst here. Anyone?

When you are a mom, and you get sick, you get the momentary pity party from the kids and the usual helpful fluffing of the pillow or patting of the head (of course that is extra special when you have a splitting headache from your fever). Then they lose interest. And the hubby? Well, you just want people to leave you alone to die in peace, so he takes care of the kids and furtively checks in on you occaisionally. You could totally waste away and no one would notice until day three when someone asks "Is someone going to make dinner, or what? Where's Mom?"

Being sick as a mom gives you another reason to lord over your kids that one day they will get exactly the child they deserve. Which is why my daughter is the way she is. Just like my mom. Guess I should have been a little kinder to her when she was sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment